With all the fear surrounding the coronavirus, it occurred to me that people may not be breathing properly at all.
The worry about getting or dying from COVID-19, losing a loved one, losing our jobs, being unable to pay your bills and support your family, is huge.
Usually when we are worried or stressed we breathe using our upper chest, when actually we should be breathing with our abdomen or belly. This breathing technique can also be done post operation to avoid any respiratory complication that may occur after any surgery.
So, I have put together a simple video which will improve your breathing technique and hopefully calm you down.
The benefits of diaphragmatic or belly breathing are;
Increase lung capacity, relaxation, improve sleep, lowers blood pressure and lowers heart rate.
Breathing exercise procedure;
- Lie flat on the floor, your bed or sit in a comfortable supportive position.
- Put a hand on your chest and a hand on your belly.
- Relax your shoulders.
- Breathe in through your nose for 4 seconds and you want feel the air go into your abdomen/belly which in turn makes your stomach blow outwards.
- Make sure your chest remains fairly still and the belly area is moving outwards.
- Hold your breath for 4 seconds if possible.
- Breathe out through your mouth for 4 seconds and let your belly flatten.
- Repeat this 4 times and then repeat this sequence another 2 or 3 times
You can also try this breathing in sitting or standing, whichever works best for you.